"And even if the wars didn't keep coming like glaciers, there would still be plain old death."- Chapter 1 pg 4
Wars are like glaciers. I like this simile (nope, not a metaphor) because I find it to be the most accurate description of war. Glaciers are enormous, crush everything in their path, and leave nothing but desolation behind. Even if you try to stop a glacier, it will just keep slowly moving along. War is the same way; it leaves countries in shambles, wreaking havoc on everything it touches. It is an inevitable part of humanity. The narrator does not want to write about it, and Billy just wants to get out of it, but war overtakes them both. There is not a soul in the world that is not in some way affected by war. It drives Billy mad (I find it impossible Billy goes crazy due to his father dropping him in the pool). His entire life revolves around those days spent in Germany. Just like the glacier, war overtakes everything in its path.
I agree that war has taken over Billy. In fact he is so consumed by it that he thinks that he is time traveling back to his days in the war when really it is as a result of how traumatic his experience was.
ReplyDelete