Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I Knew I Forgot Something...

"A fiend snatched from me every hope of future happiness; no creature had ever been so miserable as I was; so frightful an event is single in the history of man." Pg 146

It is at this point in the story we see Victor and the monster are essentially the same. Physical appearance aside, the creature and Victor are in the same emotional state. They are driven by loneliness and despair, wanting only to ruin the life of the other. Victor took away any chance and the creature gaining a true friend, so the creature took away Victor's true love. Victor then becomes obsessed with pursuing the creature and exacting revenge. Creator and product essentially model each other by the end of the story. I think the creature turned out evil and outcast because those are traits that were hiding in Victor all along. He subconsciously made the creature a tall, ugly form of himself. It is no coincindence the creature is fixated on revenge; Victor is the same way when it really comes down to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment