"I used to think she hated Maggie, too. But that was before we raised the money, the church and me, to send to to Augusta to school."-- Everyday Use, Alice Walker
Wangero (Dee) is extremely stuck up, but I think this may be a matter of perspective. The mother and Maggie are both uneducated, while she was sent to a nice school. Her sense of style and what is proper are very different from theirs. Because she is so different, we see it as a bad thing, while she very well might not realize she is acting abnormal. She feels these quilts should be displayed because of their historical significance, not used like every-day blankets. In her eyes she is not making an outrageous request. Maggie and her mother see it as such because the quilts are a tradition to them, and feel they should be used instead of simply hung up. If we had the perspective of Dee's husband, we would likely feel much different about her request to take the quilts with her. So I guess what I am saying is characterization has more to do with the perspective of the narrator than anything else.
No comments:
Post a Comment