Thursday, October 6, 2011

Yay paradox! (didn't we already do a whole section about this?)

"A sweet disorder in the dress/ Kindles in clothes a wontonness."-- Delight in Disorder, Robert Herrick

I love reading poems that describe me! This author realizes not everything has to be perfect. This woman has lace falling about her, ribbons that are confusing, a "wild civility", and that is just what I like. If everything about a woman was perfect, there would be nothing interesting to love about her. She would be stale and boring and nobody would want to stay with her. The woman the speaker describes sounds positively delightful (hence the title). Every line rhymes with the next, then after those two lines rhyme, a new one starts. I couldn't help but read this poem like it was a song, so I had to read it several times to grasp all the parts. It should be set to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment