"Can someone make my simple wish come true?/ Do you live in North London? Is it you?"-- Lonely Hearts, Wendy Cope
I know and have known what a villanelle is, I just cannot tell you the structure. I know there are two lines repeated at the end of certain stanzas and some other stuff like that, but they are extraordinarily hard to write, so I am impressed by anyone who can. This one is interesting because every three lines is someone different describing what they want in a person and trying to find them. Biker chick, a gay guy, a bi executive, a straight Jewish man, and I have no idea what a Libran is, but she is looking too. They all live in North London and are looking for someone to be with. I think it is a commentary on the diversity of people around London and how nobody should be ashamed of themselves. But I could be way off.
No comments:
Post a Comment