Monday, February 27, 2012

St-st-st-stutter!

"I know your ambitions do not lie in the warehouse, that like everybody in the whole wide world-you've had to-make sacrifices, but-Tom-Tom-life's not easy, it calls for-Spartan endurance!"-- Amanda, Scene 4

This play has very realistic speech in it. There are stage directions for how each character is speaking, whether softly, pausing, loudly, or nervous. The style it is written also accounts for this. In the section I quoted, Amanda is out of breath with excitement. The style forces the actor to take pauses and breaths between some of the words, adding to the realistic effect for the audience. The dialogue also has sections where multiple characters speak at once, and it is easy to envision the situation. I liked this because it makes the play readable, not just meant to be seen as some plays are written. Williams also uses italics throughout to emphasize words the actors would put stress on. I found it easy and enjoyable to read, not struggling to envision what would be happening on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment