"Because we come to do you service and you think we are ruffians, you'll have your daughter covered with a Barbary horse, you'll have your nephews neigh to you, you'll have coursers for cousins, and jennets for germans."-- Iago, I.i.109-111
This statement is basically calling Othello a horse because he is black. The racism and sexism in this play are incredibly prevalent. Iago insults women left and right, even his own wife. The only perfect woman for him is one that stays in the kitchen and raises the kids. I am not sure, but it seems as though Shakespeare was trying to address and issue in his own society. The villain is the most racist and sexist in this play, and it seems the hope is to make people dislike him. Also, why do all the male names end in O and female names in A? I am sure there was a much wider variety of names for women back then, so why did Shakespeare end all their names the same way?
No comments:
Post a Comment